Pets for Every Immigrant

The mod that's bigger than 80's hair. We promise to help tame the beast.
Embers
Reactions:

Pets for Every Immigrant

Post by Embers » June 5th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Hey yall, having a little trouble getting something to work:
I'm playing a game where I'm trying to gather as many animals as I can as a sort of noahs ark - type situation. After a few days I have to seal the place up, grow my own fruit/veg and catch fish, and feed myself and all the animals I have collected.
I was planning on doing this by adopting strays or adding other sims pets from my family (if my friendship with them was high enough). Problem is, no matter what settings I try to use, the sims that move into my town do not have pets, and the strays never seem to spawn despite having their rates cranked up by Animals.
I've tried lots of different options in StoryProgression (like move in with animal chance, etc.) but it doesn't seem to work. If anyone has any idea as to how to make this process easier (help getting the strays to work would also help but I get this is the StoryProgression thread), or what mod to use instead, it'd be greatly appreciated ^ ^

igazor
Organizer
Reactions:
Answers: 203
Location: Everyone should strive to find their inner platypus.

Pets for Every Immigrant

Post by igazor » June 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Resident pet immigration, meaning newly arriving families by way of SP's immigration engine having pets or not, will be gated by a bunch of different factors.

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options: Immigration/Emigration > Immigration Pet Chance > (defult is 25, try 100)
As per our documentation, not every incoming household will "want to have pets," that's a bit vague, but at 100 at least that factor will be maximized.

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Lots > Options: Immigration/Emigration > Immigration Pet Maximum > (default is 2, not sure how many you want here)
This is the maximum number of pets that can possibly arrive with each incoming immigrant household deemed eligible to have pets as per the above.

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options: Sims > Maximum Residents (by species)
If the total number of resident pets already in town is at or over the cap specified here, there will be no further automatic immigration of that species (nor SP generated pregnancies or adoptions). Note that an entry of 0 would mean no cap, or at least that is true for Humans.

Inspection Settings
If you have Inspection Settings on Rigorous and include pet beds in those checks, then houses that lack pet beds (or stalls for horses) will not attract incoming households with pets in much the same way that houses with no cribs or single beds will not attract incoming households with toddlers or children.

Stray animals are not resident sims and are not governed by StoryProgression. The mod that governs these is Register, under its Animal Control settings. Some worlds are just not very (or at all) conducive to spawning strays, it seems.

To be perfectly honest, I would go about this project another way. Let's say I have a town, or half a town, full of human sims already but no or very few pets and I want many of them to acquire some. MasterController has an Adopt Pet command that I believe will thrust however many of whichever species you specify on each household you choose. That may seem a bit artificial, your own actively being played sims won't "know" these incoming pets right away, but perhaps a still interesting part of the storyline comes after this initial setup phase?

Embers
Reactions:

Pets for Every Immigrant

Post by Embers » June 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'd started trying to use the adopt pet feature but found it was taking a long time to get through and I lost patience pretty quickly ^ ^""

It does seem have something to do with the inspection settings, I tried immigration in both the default world and the pets one and it looked like more families immigrated with pets in the pets world! I thought it was just because the world had more default settings I couldn't change or something but it sounds like you've hit the nail on the head lol

I'll go and test it out next time I'm playing, thanks for the help!

igazor
Organizer
Reactions:
Answers: 203
Location: Everyone should strive to find their inner platypus.

Pets for Every Immigrant

Post by igazor » June 5th, 2019, 8:11 pm

There is actually another feature of SP that I forgot about because I've never used it, but might be just what you needed here once you get past the pet bed thing (if this is part of the holdback).

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options: Pregnancy > Options : Adoption > Rapid Pet Immigration
  • Sets the number of rapidly fired "Pet Immigration" scenarios to perform back-to-back.
  • This option is useful for populating towns that have pre-made families, but which lack pets.
So if you set that for let's say 25, then the pet adoption scenario should automatically run on 25 households all in rapid succession, with the number set decrementing back down to 0 when it's finished trying that many times.